Light fixture definitions
Lantern Masters will design and custom manufacture interior lighting and exterior lighting to your specifications.
Lantern: Has a main body element, usually with a metal frame and glass covering, with the light element inside the “cage”. Our lantern series are available in varying sizes. Lanterns can be for exterior or interior use. Lanterns are manufactured in brass, with other metals available including copper and bronze.
Lantern applications include:
- Wall mounted lantern – Full lantern cage affixed to a wall for support.
- The lantern “cage” can be mounted to a “standoff backplate” that sits directly behind the fixture.
- The lantern “cage” can be mounted to a “decorative arm with scrolling” affixed behind the fixture, below the fixture or above the fixture.
- Flush mounted wall lantern – Approximately 3/4 depth of the lantern cage taking up little vertical space, and affixed to a wall for support.
- Pendant lantern - Full lantern cage mounted to the ceiling with a canopy/escutcheon and hangs down from the canopy on a rod or a single chain, or with multiple chains.
- Pilaster lantern (also called a Pier-mount) - Full lantern cage with a decorative base that mounts on the top of the pilaster (or pier-mount). A pilaster (or pier mount) is a free standing column at varying heights.
- Post lantern – Full lantern cage typically sits on top of an upright metal or wood post that is firmly affixed to the ground (the Post can be 3” or 4” diameter, or larger, & of any height – the wood post can be any shape; ie – square, rectangular, etc). The lantern can also hang from the post like a “pendant”.
- Ceiling flush or Semi Ceiling Flush - Lantern closely mounted to the ceiling.
Chandelier - Hanging light fixture usually having branched armed supports for any number of lights. It is mounted to the ceiling with a canopy/escutcheon and hangs down from the canopy on a rod or a single chain, or with multiple chains.
Sconce - Usually referred to for interior lighting it is attached to a wall with an ornamental bracket. The sconce can have one or more lights.
U.L. (Underwriters Laboratory) - All Lantern Masters lighting is U.L. approved for:
- Exterior fixtures: U.L. Wet, Gas and Damp labels.
- Interior fixtures: U.L. Dry Labels.
Finishes and glass:
- Lanterns, chandeliers, sconces and pendants that are manufactured in brass - Finishes are chemically oxidized, and hand applied; with 20 standard finishes to select from. These are unsealed “living, breathing” finishes that may age over time & patina. These finishes are included in the pricing of the fixtures.
- Fixtures manufactured in iron – Faux finishes are hand applied; with many standard finishes to select from. These finishes are included in the pricing of the fixtures.
- Custom finishes – Polished nickel, brushed nickel, satin nickel, silver, gold and plated finishes are available. Powdercoating is also available. These finishes are priced in addition to the cost of the fixtures.
- Glass - 15 standard glasses to choose from for lanterns with flat glass. Lanterns with curved, slumped or blown glass have specific glass types available, as stated in the description of the fixture. These glass types are included in the pricing of the fixtures.
- Specialty glass - Can be designed. Pricing is dependent on the size and complexity of the glass.